Vanilla Layer Cake with Mint and Lemon Buttercream
This is my first layer cake, and quite honestly, I'm impressed with myself! It is light, soft and melts in the mouth. And it incorporates one of my favourite combination of flavours: lemon and mint.
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 180 g flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 170 g powdered sugar
- I egg
- ½ c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a 9-inch tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well. Slowly add in the milk, whisking continuously.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients one-third at a time. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin.
- If you want to make a layer cake, evenly divide the batter into 4 cake tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
For the buttercream:
- 200 g icing sugar
- 45 g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon juice and peppermint extract and beat well.
- If the buttercream is too stiff, add in the milk to loosen it up.