I have been loving lemon this season. The colour, the flavour..everything! These lemon bars are fresh, bursting with flavour. The buttery short crust pastry goes perfectly with the sweet, lemony, chewy bar. This recipe is absolutely divine and I swear by it!
For the short crust pastry:
- 175 g flour
- 125 g butter
- 50 g granulated sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees. Prepare an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and butter. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the granulated sugar.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared cake pan and press down firmly.
- Prick the whole surface with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until pale golden.
For the lemon topping:
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- In a food processor, mix together the caster sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, lemon juice and zest until smooth.
- Pour over short crust base.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until nearly set, but still wobbly in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 1 hour at least.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Serve cold.