I love mangoes. One thing I love more than mangoes? Mango ice cream!
1 litre full cream milk
200ml heavy cream
4-5 mangoes (depending on size)
1 slice of bread
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup castor sugar -optional- (depending on sweetness of mangoes)
1. In a large saucepan pour in the milk and leave it on the gas on medium heat. You want to reduce the milk to half the quantity.
2. While the milk is reducing, break up a slice of bread and add it into the saucepan.
3. In a small bowl, add in the cornflour and put in a few spoons of milk from the saucepan to dissolve the cornflour. Once dissolved, add the mixture to the rest of the milk. Also add in the sugar at this point.
4. Peel the mangoes and cut them up into cubes. Put them in a blender and blend until you have a smooth mixture.
5. Once the milk is reduced, leave it aside to cool.
6. In a mixing bowl, sieve your reduced milk (it should have slightly thickened by now) to get a smooth mixture.
7. Now add in your mango mixture to the milk and stir until combined.
8. Once combined, slowly whisk in the heavy cream.
9. Pour the mixture into a container with a lid and place in the freezer for an hour.
10. The mixture should be quite thick once out of the freezer. Pour it into a blender and blend for a few seconds until you have a smooth mixture.
11. Repeat this every few hours, and leave in the fridge overnight.